Adopted 13 January 2002
"We, the members
of the Niantic Community Church, are called to love one another
as God loves us, freely and unconditionally.
believe that diversity enriches our faith community.
we welcome persons of any age, gender, race, sexual orientation,
socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and physical or mental ability
into full membership and participation in the body of Christ.
We celebrate family in all its diverse forms and honor, support
and bless all loving and committed relationships.
"As we are
one in Christ, we are called to accept and respect one another
in the face of our differences. We agree that continued dialogue
is necessary as we each grow in learning and understanding. We
commit ourselves to work diligently to end all oppression and
discrimination which afflicts Gods people in our society.
We seek to explore new ways of affirming our faith in community
according to the wisdom of the Gospel. We work, as individuals,
to become more Christ-like in our love for one another.
"We come from
different perspectives and experiences and pray for courage, blessing,
and Gods unifying love as we respond to Gods call.
We invite all who seek Gods guidance to join our open, affirming,
and reconciling faith community and share fully in our churchs
life and opportunities for ministry."
What do the United Church of Christ and the United Methodist Church say about
the faith claims and ministries we call Open, Affirming, Reconciling? Follow these
links to learn more:
Open and Affirming in the UCC
The Reconciling Ministries Network (UMC)
Niantic Community Church's Open, Affirming, Reconciling Ministry (OAR)
The OAR Committee work diligently and joyfully to oppose all discrimination, no matter what form it takes,
that afflicts, separates or treats unjustly any member of our society.
- We actively support persons of any age, gender, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and physical or mental ability.
- We ensure that our worship services respect differences, use inclusive language, and speak to all of God's children.
- We strive to be visible in our openness in the community and the world around us.
- We pursue justice and uphold civil rights.
- We are intentional in our purpose to not be a one-issue church and to be welcoming to all who feel left out in our society.
- We offer panels, lectures, forums, classes and Bible studies.
- We share the journey and seek to support other faith communities who are seeking to be open as we are.
- We pray, study and actively engage in and celebrate diversity.
- We constantly explore new ways of affirming our faith in a community of love according to the wisdom of the Gospel.